2023 Canada $10 His Majesty King Charles III’s Royal Cypher 1/20oz. Pure Gold
The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III on May 6, 2023 is a momentous occasion as it marks the first coronation of a new Sovereign of Canada in seven decades. The formal investiture of the monarch’s regal power is a spectacle like no other — one steeped in pomp, pageantry and centuries-old traditions that connect the past and future. Culminating in the religious ceremony held at Westminster Abbey in London (United Kingdom), the Coronation of His Majesty The King is both a solemn and celebratory event that will long be remembered, and it is commemorated through the Royal Cypher appearing on this 1/20 oz. 99.99% pure gold coin.
The coronation ceremony involves six key rituals: the rite of recognition; the swearing of the coronation oath; the anointing with holy oil; the investiture and crowning (with St. Edward’s Crown); the enthroning; and the homage.
Cyphers have been used by British monarchs since the reign of Henry VIII. For her cypher, Queen Elizabeth II favoured a stylized representation of St. Edward’s Crown—the official coronation crown dating from the coronation of King Charles II in 1661. His Majesty The King’s Royal Cypher features a stylized Tudor Crown, the headpiece used by monarchs until the English Civil Wars (1642-1651) and depicted in the royal cypher of His Majesty’s grandfather, King George VI.
The coin’s reverse design features the Royal Cypher of His Majesty King Charles III with a beaded border. Paired with his regnal number “III”, the initials “C” and “R” stand for “Charles” and “Rex” (the Latin word for “King”), while the stylized crown is a representation of the Tudor Crown. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208617
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight: 1.58 g
Diameter: 14.1 mm
Face Value: $10
Artist: RCM Engravers
• A special issue. This pure gold coin is an extraordinary issue that marks an extraordinary event: the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III on May 6, 2023 — the first coronation of Canada’s new monarch in seven decades.
• First appearance of His Majesty’s Royal Cypher. His Majesty’s Royal Cypher makes its Canadian numismatic debut on this and other Coronation-themed collectibles from the Royal Canadian Mint. Its appearance on the coin’s reverse signals the start of a new era in Canadian numismatics.
• Commemorative packaging. The newest addition to your collection comes packaged in a custom-designed graphic beauty box that is exclusive to the His Majesty King Charles III Coronation suite. The commemorative packaging is coloured green, which was inspired by the colourful gemstones depicted in the Royal Cypher. It is also a nod to His Majesty’s longstanding commitment and passion for conservation and environmentalism.
• Part of His Majesty King Charles III Coronation suite. His Majesty King Charles III’s Coronation is a significant historical event, and your pure gold coin is part of a unique collection of Canadian collector coins specially issued to commemorate the momentous occasion.
• An affordable gold offering. The 14 mm diameter makes it one of the smallest gold coins available, and you’ll be impressed by the level of engraved detail featured on its reverse. The 1/20 oz. format is also the most affordable way to add 99.99% pure gold to your collection.
• Mark this historic moment! Mark this momentous event, the first coronation in seven decades, with a special collector coin from the Royal Canadian Mint. As part of your collection, this coin will help preserve your memories of this day for years to come.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a graphic beauty box that is exclusive to His Majesty King Charles III Coronation collection.