The 2023 National Indigenous Peoples Day commemorative $2 circulation coin celebrates First Nations, Inuit, and Métis art and cultures. You’ll find 25 of those coins in each Colourized Special Wrap Roll, and all of them share the same colour-enhanced design from the three artists, who weaved together their individual expressions to form a powerful ode to First Nations, Inuit, and Métis cultures and heritages.
The National Indigenous Peoples Day commemorative $2 circulation coin is the first circulation piece to feature a reverse design by three individual artists. Taking a cooperative approach, the three artists – Megan Currie, English River First Nation, Myrna Pokiak (Agnaviak), Inuvialuit Settlement Region and Jennine Krauchi, Red River Métis – actively developed the design together, weaving together their individual expressions to form a powerful ode to First Nations, Inuit, and Métis cultures and heritages.
In celebration of National Indigenous Peoples Day, the 2023 commemorative $2 circulation coin combines the art of Megan Currie, English River First Nation, Myrna Pokiak (Agnaviak), Inuvialuit Settlement Region and Jennine Krauchi, Red River Métis. Their joint creation stunningly combines their expressions of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis cultures, art and traditions and is an open invitation to celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208098
Composition: Outer Ring: Three-ply nickel-plated steel; Inner Core: Three-ply brass-plated aluminum bronze with selective colour
Weight: 6.99 g
Diameter: 28 mm
Edge: Interrupted Serrations
Artist: Megan Currie, Myrna Pokiak and Jennine Krauchi ($2 reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• A shared national celebration. While National Indigenous Peoples Day (June 21) is the national day devoted to celebrating the diverse cultures and outstanding achievements of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples in Canada, this coin is an open-ended invitation to learn about and honour First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples and their histories and heritages.
• A unique collaboration! As the creative voices of their distinct identities and experiences, three artists worked together to create a powerful, combined design – a first for a circulation coin.
• Collect Canada’s coins by the roll. Each Special Wrap Roll (Colourized) contains 25 colour-enhanced National Indigenous Peoples Day $2 coins. Your coins come in a custom paper wrap that complements the reverse design.
• A colourful celebration. The 25 coins in each Colourized Special Wrap Roll all feature the same vibrant colours on the coin’s reverse.
• All are uncirculated coins. Not one of these 25 coins has been circulated—they all have a newly minted quality.
• Limited supply! Only 20,000 rolls are available, and this is the first Canadian coin designed by three different artists.
• Get both versions. This is for a Special Wrap Roll of 25 colourized commemorative $2 circulation coins. Get a complete set by purchasing a Special Wrap Roll of non-colourized $2 coins.